Saturday, April 4, 2015

Entry Three:

Describe the home life of one of the characters in the novel. How is their life different from yours? Provide specific examples.


The home life of Lakshmi is much different than mine.
    Lakshmi                                                             Me
Lakshmi’s family grows almost all of the food they eat. From rice patties to cucumbers, they grow everything they have to eat (minus the grain and the oil). When the rain comes and the paddies flood, they are put into more debt and left with no food.

“Finally, when I stand, my hands aching with emptiness, I see Gita’s family in the plot below ours. Gita’s father did not spend his afternoons in the tea shop: he spent his days building paddy walls that could stand up to the monsoon.” (McCormick 34)
Though we have a garden in our backyard, at my house we get food from the grocery store every week. We are fortunate enough that if we every need anything, there is a store that has it. There are seven gas stations/convenience stores in Oregon alone.
Lakshmi’s stepfather is addicted to gambling, which causes even more financial troubles for her family.

“Ama says we are lucky to have a man at all. She says I am to honor and praise him, respect and thank him for taking us in after my father died.” (McCormick 8)
My dad works from home everyday to earn us the money we need to pay for our house and our clothes and our food.

He is home when I come home everyday and for that I am very blessed and grateful.
Lakshmi has a little brother. He is only a baby but there is very little chance he will live a whole year. This is a fact of life for her.

“Four other babies were born between me and my brother.” (McCormick 12)
I also have a little brother. Despite a broken thumb he is healthy and well. When he broke his thumb we simply drove him to the doctor and they gave us a way to fix it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment